Who doesn’t love a good buttery biscuit that melts in your mouth? Shortbread originates from Scotland and are very easy to make at home. Traditionally they are made from only 3 ingredients so you are likely to have everything you need at home! These make a great treat year round and are especially eaten/gifted at Christmas time! They can be made plain or flavoured and can contain chocolate, nuts or dried fruit. So how can you make shortbread at home? Just follow these three easy steps and you can make delicious shortbread at home too!
Step 1: Make the shortbread dough
- 125g margarine
- 55g soft brown sugar
- 180g plain flour
- 4 drops vanilla essence
- Firstly, mix the margarine and sugar in a bowl until it is smooth ensuring there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Next, stir in the vanilla essence and mix well.
- Then, add the plain flour and mix until combined.
- Next, knead until a soft dough is formed.
- Finally, roll the dough into a sausage shape and wrap in clingfilm. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Make the shortbread
- Dark chocolate chopped into small pieces (optional)
- Firstly, line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Next, cut the the chilled dough into 1cm thick squares/rounds and place on the tray.
- Finally, press in the chocolate pieces into the shortbread if desired.
This will make approximately 16 small shortbreads.
Step 3: Bake the shortbread
- Caster sugar to sprinkle (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and bake the shortbread for 15 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Next, sprinkle sugar on top of the shortbread.
- Finally, leave the shortbread to cool completely until they harden.
And there you have it, delicious homemade shortbread to enjoy!
Thank You for reading. If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends and subscribe to the blog!
Got any comments or questions? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Until next time – where will your next adventure take you?