Mug cake is, as the name suggests, simply cake in a mug! Typically made using a microwave, it’s quick and easy to make if you are in rush or don’t have an oven. I hadn’t made a mug cake until recently but I can see why they are so popular. They are simple to make and it literally takes 5 minutes until you can eat it! In my opinion, it doesn’t taste as good as an oven baked cake as it’s not as spongy but it will hit the spot. So how can you make a chocolate mug cake at home or when you are travelling? Just follow these three easy steps and you can make a mug cake too!
Step 1: Make the mug cake mixture
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon oil, vegetable or canola
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 squares of milk chocolate (chopped into quarters)
This will make 1 mug cake.
- Firstly mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar in a mug.
- Next mix in the vanilla essence, milk and oil.
- Finally add in the chocolate and mix.
Make sure the all the ingredients are combined together before microwaving.
Step 2: Microwave the mug cake
- Microwave the mug cake for 1.5 – 2 minutes at the highest temperature. If you overcook it, the cake will be dry so it is best to check every 30 seconds.
- Then remove from the microwave and leave to cool.
Step 3: Decorate the mug cake
- Nutella/ Chocolate spread
- Finally to finish, spread a thin layer of Nutella on top of the mug cake and decorate with sprinkles.
And there you have it, a delicious chocolate mug cake to enjoy!
Thank You for reading. If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends and subscribe to the blog!
Got any comments or questions? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Until next time – where will your next adventure take you?