Time for an afternoon treat anyone? Scones are a traditional part of British afternoon tea and they originate from Scotland. Scones are simple and quick to make at home and can be served plain or with jam and clotted cream. (The million dollar question: jam or cream first?!) So how can you make these at home? Just follow these three easy steps and you can make these delicious scones at home too!
Step 1: Make the scone dough
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50g margarine
- 50g white sugar
- 1 egg
- 75g glacé cherries (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
This will approximately make 9 scones.
- Firstly, mix the self raising flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Next, rub the margarine into the dry mixture with your finger tips. It will look a bit like breadcrumbs.
- Then, stir in the white sugar and the glacé cherries.
- Next, in a measuring jug whisk the egg and vanilla essence. Then add in the milk so that there is 150ml of liquid in the jug and whisk.
- Then, make a well in the dry mixture and pour the liquid into the bowl.
- Finally, lightly knead the dough until combined. It will be elastic and sticky.
Step 2: Shape the scones
- Firstly, line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Then, place 2 spoonfuls of the scone dough on a tray and shape into a ball. Make sure there is enough space between the scones.
- Finally, brush milk onto the scones ensuring all visible surfaces are covered.
You can make approximately 9 scones.
Step 3: Bake the scones
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and bake the scones for 10- 12 minutes until they are golden brown.
And there you have it, delicious homemade cherry scones to enjoy! These will need to be stored in an airtight container and consumed within a few days.
Thank You for reading. If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends and subscribe to the blog!
Got any comments or questions? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Until next time – where will your next adventure take you?